Just how do you make Coca-Cola Chicken Wings? Having lived in China for about 4 years now, I’d like to recall one of the most shocking, thought provoking, and life-changing revelations that came to me about a year ago. I found out from my Chinese girlfriend that chicken wings could be flavored by using an ingredient none-other than…. Coca-Cola. “Hal-le-lujah! Hal-le-lujah!” Did you hear the angels singing too?
That’s right! Coca-Cola Chicken Wings is a popular Chinese recipe that has been around for decades. Who’d ever imagine that one could produce such a savory meal from mixing meat with a sugar-sweetened beverage, let alone having this peculiar dish being widely popular across China and yet, rarely known in America, the home of Coca-Cola. If you’re like me and always looking for new and creative ways to add more flavor to your food, lets take a look at how to cook Chinese Coca-Cola Chicken Wings the easy way!
1. Chicken Wings (About 12 for 1 Person)
2. Bottle of Soy Sauce
4. Small Bottle of Coca-Cola
5. 1-2 Spring Onions (Optional)
HOW TO MAKE COCA COLA CHICKEN WINGS:
1. FIRST, throw all of your chicken wings into a large pot and BOIL them on high for about 10min to defrost.
2. NEXT, remove the water and place your wings into a bowl. Grab your bottle of soy sauce and slightly pour some over the wings. (*Warning*: Soy Sauce moves fast so make sure to do it slowly so it won’t shoot out). You won’t need a lot; just a few tablespoons should do the trick. Turn over the wings and mix the sauce in so that they are brown on both sides. You can also do this part in the pot.
3. THIRD, pour some oil into your skillet. Again, do not pour a lot because you’ll only need to fry the wings for a short time. You are not going to fully cook them.
4. FOURTH, add the slices of ginger in before placing in the chicken wings. Allow some time for the ginger scent to be released.
5. FIFTH, place the wings into the skillet and fry them until the skin is light brown and slightly crispy. You may also pour in just a little bit more soy sauce over the wings.
6. SIXTH, pour your Coca-Cola into the pot. You’ll only need to pour in enough to match the same height as the chicken wings; that is, you don’t need to fully drown the wings in the soda.
7. SEVENTH, reduce your heat to medium and wait until the Coke has turned into a thick glaze. Don’t forget to occasionally turn and rotate the wings.
8. EIGTH, place the chicken wings unto your plate. To get the maximum effect of the sauce, pour the remaining sauce from the skillet over your wings.
9. NINTH, add some greenery to your Coca Cola Chicken Wings by cutting up the spring onions and placing them over the chicken wings.
10. TENTH, eat, enjoy, and most importantly, ... REPEAT!
Follow Don on Instagram at DonESLAdventure and Subscribe on Youtube at Don's ESL Adventure!